Tuesday, December 03, 2013

 
Waiting on my bicycle at Rainham Station level crossing this morning, I pointed out to white-van-man the sign that asks "Please switch off your engine while waiting at the crossing, to help reduce air pollution".

He appeared not to understand, so I made a hand-gesture indicating switching off the ignition. 

He made a hand gesture indicating "Fuck off".

I then mimed a sarcastic round of applause and he mimed a further "Fuck off".

Had I not been 66 years old, and had I not only this morning taken my industrial-strength cycle lock-and-chain out of my pannier to reduce weight, I might have taken the matter further, but as it was I had to content myself with my best Paddington Bear hard stare and an attempt to convey my contempt using only facial gestures and a well-timed spit in his general direction. 

Sadly, the van was bare of any company name, so I couldn't even report the ignorant bastard to his employer.

This isn't the first time (and it won't be the last) that I've experienced this sort of reaction. Many motorists (and I, of course, am also a motorist, as well as a pedestrian and a cyclist) seem to take it as a personal affront to be asked to switch off their engine.  By a small margin, the majority are happy to comply once the sign is pointed out to them.  

My concern is not merely air pollution, although that in itself is a good enough reason to be concerned.  I'm asthmatic, and on cold, still mornings like this morning, with no breeze or air movement, exhaust fumes just hang around and start my chest tightening up.  I often think that if I could swap places for a few minutes with some of the inconsiderate swine that won't switch off their engines, they'd perhaps understand why those of us who are not safely cocooned in little metal boxes with air filters and air-con get a bit tetchy about being swallowed up by vast clouds of crap.

Another good argument in favour of arming pensioners.....


Comments:
I'm glad it isn't just me that has a go at ignorant drivers.

The one I really hate is those that don't indicate when going round a corner because there are no other cars about. The amount of times I've almost got into severe trouble as I make rude gestures and scream at the top of my voice that the indicators are handy for pedestrians as well. xxx
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?